Monday, July 2

I keep wanting to say, "Cha Cha Cha's."

In the last two weeks there's been a flood of wild game. Their eager faces spin me, vacillating between rivalrous fervor and social anxiousness. Sort of the same apprehension I gave Randall in Linguistics 214, when he asked if I too was applying to the production program. Standing in line waiting to use the microwave in the break room, I'm staring at my competition. Who might also be my good friends. Something I assumed I could make in addition to a weekly paycheck, at the part-time job I've yet to bag.


fig 1. The Stranger

For a small company, Screaming Flea is supporting so many of us. But how much could free labor really cost? Naturally the work slowed. I thought I could at least rely on my priority to Test Drive, but availability trumps all. Peter slipped in and Lelia handed off my established contact with Bremerton Raceway. Looks like this won't be easy as I thought. Lisa told me about a shoot happening locally, and I made sure to bump into the right people and transcribe more episodes. All of us were gunning for a week on Sell This House, which is hands down no-contest to the office.

And I made it on set. Along with Lacee and Peter, but you know what? Doesn't faze me. The first couple days were too crowded, I felt more often than I really needed to prove my relevance. Who doesn't love the guy that brings you lunch? Tanya Memme, when she asked for an artichoke, not artichoke dip. I lost all eye contact after lunch for that one.

Tuesday night, Lacee called hollering about Drum and Bass Night at the War Room-- an amiable invitation stunted by its presentation. I tell her, "I just need a beer." This is before I realize there's not going to be a band. My head ached all the next day, but I guess I'll try anything once.

Wed and Thursday I carpool with Chad, the show's in-house designer's assistant, and so far he's the closest thing to home I've met so far. At night I go out with him and his friends, see some more of Seattle life, and am lost in all its eternal youth and glamour. These people work 6 days a month, get paid to take road trips and photographs. They run independent galleries and throw parties and wear wings while dancing in front of tranny fantasy metal bands. The most I seem to muster is a hearty laugh. Or praise. And a few bucks for tip. Oh, and a first, introductions that include the "Grand Canyon State." Big hit here. I mean, it is the 8th Wonder of the World.

Early morning after, I got picked up by Lee, Sell This House, she needed a small crew for the show's open. Being that we're featuring local houses, we need some local gimmicks. Which was perfect because I haven't been the tourist I should be so new to the city. I got on top of the Space Needle for free. And when I say "on top," I'm talking the highest most horizontal point of the structure.


fig 2. Diagram

The part outside of the observation. The point that previously required a harness even if you only wanted to breathe the air at that height. I'm holding a bounce, evenly lighting Memme's face as she struggles to spit out a tongue-twisting teaser for the episode's upcoming events. "I'm sorry guys, this take will be it!" Take your time, I'm enjoying the wind in my hair. I'll probably never be here again. A particularly ornery gust blows, she wavers, grabbing for the railing that looks held in place solely by duct tape. She nails the line, and we all walk delicately down an 89-degree angle. Carrying light kit, tripod and monitor.

Later, riding back from Renton we talked about motorcycles and played with the voice of the GPS. We most liked the British cigar-swilling Gentleman, a real upper-cruster. Leaning back with the window down, pointing out at the sun set mingling with the overcast sky, I just sigh with disbelief. The Flea, as it stands, has the least stress among any job or set I have ever been on. I always leave it well. This morning Lee came in the office and said she bought me, I'd be moving my desk. Helping more directly with their show and getting my hands into some writing. I was more than happy to package music cue sheets and final scripts, thinking about leaving this summer with my name in some credits. Who knew it would be reality TV?

3 comments:

Chae said...

Hey, I'll be here till at least the 12th! I also appreciate your graphics.

Randall French said...

Hahaha! <-- To a bunch of it.
That's neat that you got to be at the top of the needle! Did you ever feel like you were going to die?

Leanne said...

the time is running out to cha cha cha your bog.